I’m thrilled to announce that I am officially launching Color Grading Masterclass today! I created this course as a direct response to countless requests from my readers, who have been clamoring for a comprehensive guide for achieving cinematic looks in post-production.
This 5+ hour masterclass is unlike any other color grading course online. While many existing classes simply focus on teaching the functionality of specific color grading applications (such as DaVinci Resolve), this course is primarily creative in nature. My goal is to share my go-to methods for creating cinematic looks with all of you, in a way that is highly accessible – regardless of your skill level as a colorist or what software you prefer to work with.
My personal approach to color grading has always been to keep it simple. Many of the best looks I’ve ever created were the result of simple, purposeful color adjustments that were developed quickly and easily. I’ve always believed that overcomplicating the color process can result in unnecessary work for the colorist, and a final product that can look “over-cooked”, or obviously colored. This ideology was the inspiration behind my Masterclass.
By the end of the course, each viewer will be armed with the skills needed to create unlimited, fully customized creative looks that will take their project’s aesthetic to the next level. And in record time.
Most of the tutorials are demonstrated in DaVinci Resolve, but this course is all about harnessing the tools, techniques, and methods that will deliver stunning color results, no matter what your software of choice. For that reason, nearly everything demonstrated in the course can be applied equally in FCP X, DaVinci Resolve, Premiere Pro, or any other editing/color grading platform for that matter!
The masterclass even features one lesson that showcases each major color tool in several editing platforms, so those of you working on multiple applications understand how to apply these creative methods to your work no matter which platform you’re using.
The course includes 12 lessons, each approximately 30 minutes in length, totaling over 5 hours of material. The lessons are divided as follows:
SET UP & PREP
- Critical Tools– The most essential color grading tools, their primary functions, and where to find them in DaVinci Resolve, FCP X, and Premiere Pro.
- Order of operations– A bulletproof workflow for RAW and compressed formats, designed to optimize footage for maximum creative potential.
- Shot matching & base grades– The first critical steps of any creative grade.
- Exposure Adjustments– Techniques for handling over/underexposed footage to deliver optimal luminance levels with minimal noise.
- Balancing Colors– Best practices for executing the primary grade, geared toward a natural/organic starting point.
- Perfecting Skin Tones– Assessing and fixing common technical issues that affect skin tones for a more flattering look.
POPULAR CREATIVE LOOKS
- Timeless Film Looks– A step by step tutorial, showcasing proper execution for several popular looks associated with classic motion picture film.
- The Big Budget Look – From sci-fi to action and everything in between, this lesson teaches core grading skills for several popular big screen looks.
- Ultra Stylized– Creative techniques for grading music videos, commercials, art films, and other projects that call for a more aggressive palette.
- Black/White Levels– Finding the right shadow/highlight balance, and achieving consistent luminance throughout long form projects.
- Grain & Film Emulation– Best practices for applying film grain and emulation in post, giving digital footage a more analog look.
- Color Uniformity– The final phase, exploring how global settings, LUTs, and other tools should be used in unison to create a cohesive aesthetic.
By the end of the course, you will be armed with the skills needed to achieve incredible color results in less time than ever. It will help you realize your vision, over-deliver for your clients, and maximize your time by having a clear path to the finish line.
Here is a sample video tutorial from Lesson #7 in the list above –
Along with the videos, each of you will also receive 3 custom Cinematic LUTs (color filters) that are yours to keep as well. These LUTs will be used as part one of the demonstrations, but are also designed for real world use so you can start applying them to your projects right away.
Pricing for the course is set at $197.
I am also offering a Professional Edition of the Masterclass, that bundles all 3 of my original Cinematic LUT Master Packs with the video lessons. These 3 Master Packs contain 108 LUTs, and normally run $267. If you bundle all 3 with your pre-order, I am going to knock another $67 off the price.
Below are the two packages available (course only, and course + LUT package):
I look forward to sharing this course with you, and seeing the incredible work you do with it!
Please be sure to check your receipt after purchase (which will be e-mailed to you), as it includes a download link to access the course.
Noam Kroll is an award-winning Los Angeles based filmmaker, and the founder of the boutique production house, Creative Rebellion. His work can be seen at international film festivals, on network television, and in various publications across the globe. Follow Noam on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for more content like this!